Lengthening, volumizing, defining, curling, bold, dramatic, fluttery and shiny - we want it all from our mascara. And we want it without jeopardizing our eye health and that prickly, watering, stinging, itchy side effect of some conventional mascaras. But we couldn't help but wonder, has clean beauty tech caught up to industry standards when it comes to high-performance mascaras? We think so (... and we're kind of mascara snobs over here). Here is our Green Kiss guide to achieving captivating, fluttery all-day lashes without dirty ingredients.
Why Use a Clean, Nontoxic Mascara
1. Reduced Risk of Eye Infections: Conventional mascaras may contain harmful synthetic chemicals and preservatives linked to health concerns, that can irritate the eyes and lead to infections. Clean, nontoxic mascaras avoid these potentially dangerous ingredients, making them gentler on sensitive eyes and less likely to cause irritation or redness.
2. Allergy-Friendly: Nontoxic mascaras are less likely to trigger allergic reactions, making them a safer choice for those with sensitive skin or allergies.
3. Safer for Overall Health: Choosing a clean mascara means reducing exposure to potentially harmful ingredients, like parabens, phthalates, formaldehyde-releasing agents, and synthetic fragrances, all which have been associated with adverse health effects.
Different Types of Clean Mascara
Not all clean mascaras are created equally. Each formula boasts unique qualities like waterproof, lengthening, curling, and volumizing effects. Here's our clean, nontoxic mascara roundup:
1. Semi-Waterproof Mascara: Perfect for withstanding humidity, rainy days, and, let's face it, tears - TOK Beauty's semi-waterproof mascara creates a smudge-proof, long-lasting look that doesn't budge, and doesn't require an industrial-strength cleanser to remove (in fact, any natural non-stripping cleanser will do). Resistant to water and smudging, and formulated to condition and strengthen lashes with Horsetail Plant and Pea Protein, this is your special occasion mascara.
2. Lengthening Mascara: If it's luscious, elongated lashes you're after, Sappho's non-toxic lengthening mascara gives the illusion of extended and defined lashes. One coat pulls up your lashes, separating, defining, and catching each lash, leaving you with glossy, crisp, blackest-black fringe. Brownie points to this mascara for its refillable packaging!
3. Curling Mascara: Want to add a dramatic curve to your lashes? 100% Pure's eye-friendly formula contains ingredients that hold the shape of your lashes, enhancing the appearance of wide, open eyes. It beautifully separates, thickens and glosses lashes with black tea and fruit-derived pigments that smell good enough to eat (but, don't).
4. Volumizing Mascara: For those craving fuller, more dramatic lashes, Fitglow Beauty's Good Lash volumizing mascara gets top marks. This mascara adds thickness and intensity to your lashes, making them appear fuller and more voluminous. It also conditions lashes with Vegetable Collagen and Horsetail Plant extract to promote lash health and encourage lash growth. Its unique flake-free formula uses dense pigments and waxes to create thickness and fullness in classic black, brown, or rich navy. Is this the mascara to end all mascaras? We think so.
5. Growth-Promoting Mascara: Plume's glossy black mascara is formulated to condition and strengthen lashes with star ingredient: Castor Seed Oil. The formula is smooth and shiny, and it stays smudge-less and flake-free all day, all while promoting lash growth, and minimizing breakage - it's love at first swipe. GK Pro Tip: pair with Plume's Lash & Brow Enhancing Serum for extra oomph to your lash growth.
6. The Lash Primer: Fitglow Beauty strikes again with their plum lash primer. Primers are the unsung heroes of especially great lashes. They function just like any other makeup primer, but are applied to the eyelashes to prep lashes for mascara application. This primer coats your lashes with superfood ingredients for fuller, thicker and stronger lashes and acts as a binding agent, providing a smooth and silky base for your mascara. Makeup artists swear by eyelash primers as the secret to getting 10/10 results from your mascara.
7. The Lash Curler: While everyone has slightly different must-haves in their makeup bag, we're here to say an eyelash curler should make the cut. These tools provide a powerful impact, lifting and curling to give a wider, brighter, eye-opening effect. PSA: A lash curler should only be used before applying mascara, and on bare lashes, and never on lash extensions.
Tips for Maintaining Healthy Lashes and Eye Health
✔️ Remove Mascara Gently: Use a gentle, oil-based makeup remover to dissolve mascara without pulling or tugging on your lashes.
✔️ Replace Mascara Regularly: Sadly, mascara has a limited shelf life, and using old products can increase risk of eye infections. Replace your mascara every three months.
✔️ Be Mindful of Application: Avoid pumping the mascara wand into the tube, as this can introduce air and bacteria and cause the formula to dry out faster.
✔️ Avoid Sharing your Mascara: We are ALL for sharing, but not mascara - it's an easy way to spread bacteria.
The verdict is in - clean, nontoxic mascara delivers! As with most things, the absence of harsh chemicals reduces the chance of discomfort or adverse reactions. Choosing the right mascara goes beyond achieving a desired look. Opting for a clean, nontoxic formula can benefit your eye health by reducing the risk of irritation and eye infections. Here's to healthy, gorgeous lashes from eye-friendly ingredients! For questions about achieving next-level lashes without the toxins, and for more personalized skincare, contact your knowledgeable Green Kiss Educator.